My name is W. Caleb McDaniel. I’m an assistant professor of history at Rice University and a scholar of the nineteenth-century United States. I am also a Board Member and social media director for Historians Against Slavery.
In the Fall 2013 semester, I will be teaching FWIS 173, a freshman writing seminar on “Legendary Americans,” and HIST 246, “The American Civil War Era,” with Fay Yarbrough. Beginning November 11, I will be in residence for a month at the Gilder Lehrman Center at Yale University.
My first book, The Problem of Democracy in the Age of Slavery: Garrisonian Abolitionists and Transatlantic Reform, was published by LSU Press in May 2013.
- Mining the BPL Anti-Slavery Collection on the Internet Archive | October 1, 2013
- How to Discuss a Book for History | August 19, 2013
- How Many Slaves Were Refugeed to Confederate Texas? | June 25, 2013
- Open Notebook History | May 22, 2013
- Using Pandoc on iOS (Sorta) | May 3, 2013