The Steinhoring maternity center in Upper Bavaria.
The first Lebensborn Home was opened in 1936 at Steinhoring, near Munich. By the end of the war there were 10 homes and the size of the homes can be guessed at by the number of nurses assigned there, anywhere from 3 to 22. The buildings themselves were usually re-patriated buildings stolen from Jewish people, or donations from wealthy Nazi Party members.
The homes allowed places for married and unmarried women to give birth to their children and receive high quality pre and postnatal care. The conditions at the homes were quite good, in fact in many cases life at the clinics was better than the womenÕs own home life. In many cases the women had private rooms, the facility grounds were beautiful, the women didnÕt have to work and the food was good and plentiful even during the war. The Lebensborn program offered very good incentives to its participants, with the goal of bringing the women back a second, even a third time. Despite the broad goals of the program, by the end of the war only 7,000 to 8,000 babies were born.
Germany was not the only country with Lebensborn homes, of the other occupies countries in Europe, Norway had the most with up to nine homes functioning. There were three homes in Poland, two in Austria, and one each in Belgium, Holland, France, Luxembourg and Denmark.